FM 3-25.26 Map Reading and Land Navigation. The purpose of this field manual is to provide a standardized source document for Armywide reference on map reading and land navigation.
From the Preface:
“The purpose of this field manual is to provide a standardized source document for Armywide reference on map reading and land navigation. This manual applies to every soldier in the Army regardless of service branch, MOS, or rank. This manual also contains both doctrine and training guidance on these subjects. Part One addresses map reading and Part Two, land navigation. The appendixes include a list of exportable training materials, a matrix of land navigation tasks, an introduction to orienteering, and a discussion of several devices that can assist the soldier in land navigation.”
US Army Field Manual Information
20 July 2001
Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.
This publication supersedes:
FM 21-26, 7 May 1993.
- SOURCES USED. These are the sources quoted or paraphrased in this publication.
- FM 21-31. Topographic Symbols, 19 June 1961.
- FM 25-4. How to Conduct Training Exercises. 10 September 1984.
- FM 25-100. Training the Force. 15 November 1988.
- FM 25-101. Battle Focused Training. 30 September 1990.
- FM 101-5-1. Operational Terms and Graphics. 30 September 1997.
- DOCUMENTS NEEDED. These documents must be available to the intended users of this publication.
- AR 115-11. Army Topography. 30 November 1993.
- AR 380-5. Department of the Army Information Security Program.
29 September 2000.
- AR 380-40. Policy for Safeguarding and Controlling Communications and Security (COMSEC) Material. 30 June 2000.
- FM 5-33. Terrain Analysis. 11 July 1990.
- FM 34-1. Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Operations. 27 September 1994.
- FM 34-3. Intelligence Analysis. 15 March 1990.
- FM 101-10-1. Staff Officers Field Manual: Organizational, Technical, and
Logistical Data. 1 July 1976.
- TC 6-40. Field Artillery Manual Cannon Gunnery. 27 December 1988.
- TM 5-240. Compilation and Color Separation of Topographic Maps. 15 June 1971.
- TM 5-243. Cartographic Aerial Photography. 2 January 1970.
- TM 11-5825-291-13 Operations and Maintenance Manual for Satellite Signals Navigation Sets. 15 September 1995.
- TB 11-5825-291-10-2 Soldiers’ Guide for the Precision Lightweight GPS Receiver (PLGR) AN/PSN-11. 1 December 1996.
- TB 11-5825-291-10-3 The PLGR Made Simple. 1 November 1997.